Visual Studio Line Numbers Missing From Error List

by Kindler Chase 5. July 2008 16:30

I'm compiling a web site in Visual Studio 2008 and have an unsuccessful build. OK, nothing unusual yet; compile errors seem to follow me around more often than not. The Error List window presents a number of errors, but two things are out of the ordinary:

• The Error List does not show any line numbers or file names; it only shows the Error Description.
  • Double clicking the error does not take me directly to the erroneous page. Quite the opposite – it does nothing at all.

I try various things to correct the problem, i.e., close VS and restart it, reboot the computer… nothing helps.

Screen shot of Visual Studio Error List with line numbers and files not being displayed:

This is what I should be seeing:

Resolution

Visual Studio 2008 appears to have a bug that causes it to choke on projects containing non alpha-numeric characters in the file path. In my case, the file path had parenthesis: C:\<snip>\SiteName (test site)\Default.aspx

Removing the parenthesis resolved the problem: C:\<snip>\SiteName - test site\Default.aspx

Conclusion

Just because Windows accepts a valid directory name, doesn't necessarily mean Visual Studio will accept the name. If you encounter this error, verify none of the directories/folders in your site's path have funky characters such as parenthesis or the pound sign (#).

Enjoy!

Comments

12/16/2008 5:24:32 AM #

Thank you very much, it is a problem that happens also in VS 2005

hicham boutaleb Morocco

2/3/2009 6:34:29 AM #

Thank you very much, Actually i suffered from this problem from more time, thanks for solving this problem....
                          Byyyyyyyyyyyyyy....

Ajay Raut (SoftWare Developer) India

2/17/2009 6:17:44 AM #

hi,
is the space also causing the problem?
i have vs 2005 sp1 installed.

Maher Lebanon

2/17/2009 10:05:14 AM #

Hi Maher,

I'm not sure if spaces also cause this problem. Have you tried removing the spaces from your solution?

cheers!
::kindler::

Kindler Chase United States

4/29/2009 3:34:56 AM #

THANK YOU!

Alex Australia

4/29/2009 9:49:35 AM #

You're welcome, Alex (^_^)

Kindler Chase United States

6/2/2009 6:19:44 AM #

It's great and solved my misery...... Thanks a lot Kindler.

Mohideen India

6/25/2009 10:23:51 AM #

Thanx buddy

SN United States

7/3/2009 6:39:35 AM #

Kindler, thanks for posting this - this bug has been causing me to lose development time for a while now, and very annoying.

How did you diagnose this one?

Cheers!

Simon Harris United Kingdom

7/3/2009 6:50:51 PM #

If I recall, the diagnosis was by dumb luck; I started digging around my files and the non alpha/numeric character caught my eye. Changed the naming convention and problem solved.

Kindler Chase

Kindler Chase

Kindler Chase
This is SharePoint's world. I'm only living in it.

Your host, on the right, with my better half, Sadi.